Monday, December 15, 2008

Soup and Sandwich and Salad and Cake and...Oh, Forget It

Let me begin by saying that I am in no way related to Laurie or Cathy from the Hawthorn Tea Room. I have never worked for them and have not received any kickbacks for my constantly writing about them. (hint, hint) I did get a tea cup once, but that was only due to my enduring cuteness. I wasn't a blogger then. I just like yummy food and tea that I don't have to drink all by myself, and I figure as long as I'm there I might as well take pictures and tell you about all of the wonderful stuff I'm eating. Since I love to talk about food and all. I promise to try and branch out soon. Really. Anyway.

On Saturday I treated myself to tea after a particularly tough week. I checked online and found out that the specials all sounded awesome. So here's the "special" lunch I ate:


The color's a little off since I didn't use my flash. This is Tomato Basil Bisque (hearty but not too thick), Cashew Chicken Salad on a Croissant (also had grapes, so yummy I ordered a whole sandwich instead of a half), and the best part was the Fruited Green Salad (lots of fruit: apples, pears, craisins, etc. and almonds I think, swiss cheese and maybe Poppy Seed Dressing?). I think I'm remembering right. Laurie can correct me if I'm wrong. Everything was so good! And it all went together really well. After all that food I should have stopped. But I had started a second pot of Vanilla tea, and I couldn't let it go to waste. I had to use it to wash down dessert. The dessert special was this mini bundt cake:


Isn't it purty? It was cherry with little bitty chocolate chips and a cherry yogurt glaze. I'm not usually a fan of fruit and chocolate together, but I ordered it anyway and I'm really glad. The cherry flavor was very subtle and the cake was super thick and dense. In fact, I only ate half and had to take the rest home. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Mint M&M's cookie I also ate (Shh, don't tell.) Also, isn't the plate beautiful? Someday I'm going to have a giant house and fill one room with beautiful china like this. And I'll call it The White House...oh, wait.

I'm thinking I need to start posting only recipes I make from Cooking Light magazine. My clothes are getting a little snug from all of this tea (with cream and sugar and food) I've been drinking. Another thing to add to my Road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions New Year's Resolution List.

Okay, I should head off to bed. Our district is two hours late tomorrow (as it was today, yay!) but I am supposed to get there as soon as I safely can and the roads are pretty good so I'm thinking of all the stuff I can get done before the kids arrive. I get so much more work done at school when there are no children around. Ah, the irony!

5 comments:

  1. You keep going to tea without me! Looking forward to seeing you on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you get a sample of Cold Comfort tea as some sort of "kick back"? :-) I hope you brewed it and drank it and that you consequently feel better.:-) Also, I hope that you have been enjoying your late starts to work this week!

    I checked out one of the other blog sites listed on the right side of your blog. The one with the falling snow....well, her blog didn't freeze my computer up. AND I feel just like she does about snow and not wanting to go outside when it's out there. :-)

    I'm hoping for scant/no snow between Auburn and Tacoma tonight and tomorrow. Maybe it'll counteract your hopes for lots of snow and it'll be business as usual for both of us! We'll see who "wins" tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, we both won! School was cancelled but there wasn't very much snow. (I'm not really sure why they cancelled it. Oh, well.)

    And I thought the Cold Comfort was out of the kindness of your heart. I didn't realize it was my pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right--we both won! Your district wasn't closed when I left yesterday at 6:45 AM when Cathy picked me up for work. I don't drive in snow, even if it's just a dusting or whatever it was yesterday! Today there's enough snow in Cathy's neighborhood and my neighborhood for us to call it a SNOW DAY AT THE TEAROOM! (even though I'm sure there's no snow in the neighborhood of the tea room!)

    Giving you some Cold Comfort WAS out of the kindness of my heart. HOWEVER, if you drank it and it made you feel better, then, it's a pay off! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cold Comfort was helpful. And it tasted better than it smelled. I didn't add any sugar. Aren't you proud of me?

    And there was lots of snow at the tea room today. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You make my life worth living! Um, yeah.