Saturday, November 29, 2008

Impossible Pumpkin Pie


*Picture from wheatfoods.org

My mom started making this long ago because she is not a fan of making crust, something I also dislike doing. Plus, crust is one of my least favorite things to eat. Think about it. It's flour, butter and salt. Yuck! Where's the flavor? And I CAN"T STAND IT when the crust is all hard and dry and crumbly. Its only redeeming quality is the ability to soak up the juice of whatever is cooked in it so it gets soft and squishy and picks up some flavor, for Pete's sake.

Okay, I will get off my pie crust soap box. 

I tried to find a picture of the pie in this old cookbook of my Grandma's. It was printed in 1980.

*Picture from Amazon.com

However, it must have been an "old hat" recipe by the time this book came out because there's no picture and it's literally the very last recipe in the book. Regardless, it's a yummy, easy pie.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick baking mix
2 Tbl. margarine or butter
1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 (16 oz) can pumpkin
2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Heat oven to 350*. Lightly grease a 9 or 10 inch pie plate. Beat all ingredients until smooth, 1 minute in blender on high speed or 2 minutes with a hand beater. Pour into pie plate. Bake until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Refrigerate any remaining pie.

A few notes about this recipe:
1.  Some of the recipes I've seen say to soften or melt the butter. I would definitely do this next time. I used cold butter and had a hard time getting it to incorporate when I used my KitchenAid. (Should have used the blender. But I have a Kitchenaid!) Where there were pieces of butter is where the pie cracked.
2. For some reason, the recipe I copied from my mom says to cook at 325*. I probably changed this on my own somewhere down the line. It was a bad idea, as it took much longer than 55 minutes to cook. I need to change it back.
3. I could only find 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk and it worked fine. Do they still make 13 oz. cans?
4. I used a deep dish pie plate, which may be why it took longer to cook. But my pie looked much prettier than the picture above. I've got to try to take pictures, even when I'm full...I'm not sure how that is connected. Maybe I'm so full I don't want to even look at food? Nah...
5. This is really easy. Go make it. Then eat it with whipped cream. Preferably Cool Whip. The full fat kind. Yummy! Now go run 3 miles. Let me know when you've run off my calories, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my life worth living! Um, yeah.